Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy 4th of July!


My first 4th of July in Benin was awesome! I definitely was missing the Lawrence Family bbq, but I had fun with my Volunteer friends. I spent the first part of the afternoon at the pool with Bevin (the pool is the best way to spend $4 in Benin). Then we went and got market pedicures, 20-40cents! They’re probably not that safe, but I’m able to rationalize everything I do by remembering that I’m frequently hurdling towards certain death while traveling in a battered bush taxi, sitting front and center (not on a seat). Some weird foot fungus won’t kill me haha.

Anyway, after pedicures, Bevin headed back to the workstation and I went to visit my ‘jewelry lady.’ She had her son Hughes with her, he’s 3. She and the ladies hanging out told me that I should marry Hughes and I said I’d marry him, but I needed a ring. Maman gave him a ring and he gave it to me, it’s so cute, it says LOVE  So I kissed him on the head and the ladies went CRAZY! They were dying laughing, it was hilarious. So Hughes is my husband. Now when Beninese men harass me about my marriage status, I can honestly tell them I have a husband named Hughes who lives in Parakou 

After getting married I headed back to the house and we all started preparing dinner. It was a FEAST! Not exactly comparable to a 4th of July Feast in America (at least in my family), but it was still excellent. We made real cheeseburgers, Kraft macaroni and cheese (thank you Sara’s parents), coleslaw, French fries, green beans, guacamole with mini toasts (there aren't chips here), and lemon bars for dessert  .

Of course, in true Parakou fashion, we went dancing at Laser Bar afterward. There was a bigger group than usual and we were quite the entertainment for a few Beninese. Me, Alison and Lauren (as always), plus Bevin, Erin and Tom! I told the guys who work at Laser Bar that it was the celebration of America, the party for Americans, the anniversary of our independence and they let me be dj using my ipod! Hahahah it was pretty hilarious, but so much fun.

I actually was telling everyone, all day, about 4th of July. Everyone was really excited for me and America (and many asked if they could come to our party haha). 

Hope everyone had a fun and delicious food filled 4th of July!

PS: The picture is me (right) and Lauren digging into our July 4th dinner :) I got really tan at the pool haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment